Tuesday 13 July 2010

May, June, part of July

Once again it's been far too long since I updated this but we've been having a brilliant time :) After my last update she went lame for about 10 days due to the hard ground. I bit the bullet and had shoes put on her and it's done her the world of good. She really steps out more now and she's a lot less on the forehand which feels great.

June 13th Urmston
Not bad but not great. I was knackered and she needs me to be excited and lively to pass it on to her. I didn't agree with a few of the placings but she behaved, was a real credit.

June 20th Hargate Charity Show
Was a very hot day and the ground was rock solid. She was good, got some ok placings.

June 27th Dressage Regional Finals
She was a star to hack over there. It was her first time leading a hack that far and she didn't put a foot wrong. She worked in well and rode a really nice test for the intro. I was really pleased. We then did the prelim and she did very well but the other horses were all old-hands and the majority were also entering the novice. Got my result for the intro - we won!!! I was over the moon. Our first ridden red rosette :D It definitely suited her!

July 4th Hargate Show
Really crappy day out. She was great to hack there but just wasn't playing ball for the showing. We had our worst ever show and disgraced ourselves in the riding club horse class by jumping the tiny jump 4 feet at once and losing all stirrups/sense of pride. I decided then that we'd have a break from showing classes and do some working hunter to spice things up a bit.

July 11th Urmston
Brilliant day out :) We both felt recharged and under less pressure because we didn't have to rush around fitting into loads of classes. Did the WH clear round first and it took ages :) It was a really challenging course with a couple of solid jumps. We then went into the novice class and had 3 refusals but I was so pleased with her for trying her hardest. Plenty to improve on for next time! We had time to go in the riding club horse class then too which went brilliantly. She did a gorgeous gallop and popped the jump beautifully. I knew who'd win but we got 2nd!! AND, the best bit, the judge said it was extremely close!!! I was so pleased I almost cried :)


In between those shows we did 2 clear round evenings which were great. A short hack over to the farm then a really relaxed atmosphere to practise our jumping. She loved both times and did the 2ft6 course brilliantly :)

We've started having proper jumping lessons and she's really improving. I'm absolutely loving jumping her, it's so exhilerating. She really gets into it too which is great to feel. She jumped 3ft the other day! The kids kept putting the jump higher and higher to see what she could do :) I used to idolise people with their own horses when I was a kid, especially ones that could jump. Feels very weird to be that person now (not that they idolise me!!), although I absolutely love my situation.

Today in my lesson she did her first triple and then her first bounce, ending on a triple bounce, stride, 2ft 6 fence :D She was great once she realised what she had to do. I just need to remember to stay sat up so I don't unbalance her. My instructor also said it would be worth trying eventing with her!! I never thought she'd say that but I'm so excited to try. There's a small xc course nearby that I'm going to have a lesson on. All very exciting!

That's all for now. Got another show this Sunday, more working hunter classes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment