Monday 22 March 2010

Wonderful pony :)

Yesterday I put up a double, a straight (2ft3) and a *scary* straight which comprised of traffic cones, red and green poles and a roadworks plank. Overall she did very well. She knocked more than last time but she did feel quite tired and it was a warm day. After a couple of run-outs she tackled the double successfully and the straight was no problem at all. She ran out of the scary one a few times but then popped it no problem. The majority of the knocks were down to striding but some were lazy. I'm going to start using harder poles so she doesn't think she can knock them as easily. She tried hard and I was pleased with her progress :)

Today I wasn't feeling great and was angry that she'd been left soaking wet in her stable but I felt better once I'd spend some time with her. I did about 25mins of schooling and she was great!! I warmed up and practised our intro dressage then I had a little canter (still wasn't taking off on the correct lead on the left rein..not sure why she's reverted to that..need to be clearer with my aids). I then started asking her to come down into an outline in walk but it wasn't working. I said to someone at the gate 'she's never going to want to go on the bit'. Cue Saffy dropping down into an outline and holding it for pretty much 4 complete laps of the school!!!! My voice was getting so high only dogs could hear it!! I was SO pleased with her. When she brought her head back up I'd open my hands again and she'd drop right down straight away! She's so so clever. It's like the break from schooling has given her time to mull over what I've been asking of her. She's not holding her head still yet when it's down but given it's only been a week since I started asking her to drop I'm more than happy with her!!

The kids had a practice on her then for the show. I felt sick at the way they ragged her mouth when they rose to her trot. I'm going to make sure they keep a long rein to avoid it as much as possible. Wish I'd never opened my big mouth now. Still, each one will only ride for 10mins at each show so she'll be a good girl and put up with it. After that, nobody else inexperienced is riding her ever. She's been so patient with me letting novices on her. Now she's growing up and schooling properly I'm not having anyone else ruin it. I love my little girl far too much for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment